Prenatal visits during COVID-19 look a lot different than they did pre-pandemic era. I used to find so much comfort when I went into an OB appointment.
You’re surrounded by other pregnant women sharing your same joy. You sit, waiting with your partner, giddy to see the new baby on the big screen. There is so much excitement about the future…or at least there used to be.
The Coronavirus pandemic has caused a major shift in feelings and attitudes when going to prenatal visits. You’re greeted by the secretary and nurses with masks, gloves and distance. You’re not sure what questions you should be asking your doctor. There’s just so much unknown, and it’s not necessarily a good unknown.
This week baby boy had his anatomy scan to confirm gender and make sure growth was on track. Luckily, we got to video conference Brendan, so he didn’t miss seeing the baby or hearing the heartbeat. I am SO thankful for this, because I know not all OB offices allow video.
Throughout the appointment, I started to ease up a little. I chatted briefly with another pregnant woman in the waiting area. We exchanged lighthearted words of “congratulations” and symptom comparisons. Knowing that we were both going through the same difficult and scary situation made me feel slightly better.
My doctor gave her usual speech about staying home and limiting outside contact. She did express some sort of hope for the future, that we would hopefully be seeing some relief and less restrictions soon.
Even though there is so much uncertainty right now, especially with pregnant women, there is also so much hope. God always has a plan, and we must keep our faith in Him to keep us and our babies safe.
Prenatal visits during COVID-19 might look and feel different, but at the end of the day we are blessed with growing a little human, so there is still so much to be grateful for!
19 week update
I just wanted to share some updates on symptoms, growth of the baby (and me) and other pregnancy things!
- Baby is still a boy! Woohoo! So, the Sneak Peek test was accurate, thank goodness! You can read more about how we found out gender here.
- Baby boy is measuring 10oz, which is right on track
- The anatomy scan showed regular growth of body parts
- My placenta is anterior facing – meaning it is pushed up against the front of my stomach. Usually they say it’s harder to feel kicks with this placement, but I have definitely not had that problem!
- I’ve recently had some new symptoms – extreme reflux and gas pains! To the point where the other night I had to make myself puke 😳 It was pretty rough!
- I’m starting to get the restless leg feeling at night, yikes! Other than these 2 symptoms, I’ve been feeling pretty good!
- I have gained 10 pounds – which my OB says is right with the curve so that’s good I guess!
We’ve got a busy couple of weeks coming up with getting the new house ready. I welcome all the distractions!! Even if it’s hard to do with a little toddler running around.
I hope you all are staying safe! If you’re pregnant, let me know how you’ve been feeling about your prenatal appointments! Have you been considering a change in birth plan?
Pin for later!