Age is such a funny thing. When you’re young you can’t wait to grow up and when you grow up you just wish you were young again. I convinced myself that after age 21 there was no other age to look forward to. I was basically dead after that. But as I get older I am trying to see the beauty in aging. After all, wrinkles are just road maps to memories of laughter and happiness, right?
Year 26 was such a great golden year. It gave me the start of my career, the opportunity to live in two states, a growing love between my husband and I and my first daughter. It taught me so much about myself and the world around me.
Each year of my life has had it’s own unique lessons. I thought I would share a list of the 27 life lessons I have learned in my 27 years of life.
- DON’T be afraid of aging. Embrace it with every laugh line it brings.
- Forgiveness is easier than resentment. Forgive those who have hurt you and forgive yourself.
- Love isn’t a mistake. Even if it burns you. You will find someone else who saves you from the ashes.
- You can’t fix people. They won’t change for you, only for themselves.
- Have self-control. It can ruin your life if you don’t.
- Live in the moment. Don’t live in the past…it only stifles your ability to move on and grow.
- Be aware of your surroundings. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- Stop comparing yourself. You will never be her, him or them. You are you and you are beautiful.
- Work hard. You can have anything you want as long as you work at it.
- Tell them you love them. Anyone and everyone. You never know when it will be your last chance.
- Have faith. Believing in something bigger than yourself will help you get through anything life throws at you.
- Being a mom is hard. It doesn’t always come naturally. It’s okay to struggle in motherhood.
- You don’t have to be the best mom in the eyes of everyone else. Just be the best mom in the eyes of your daughter.
- Communication is important. Tell them how you feel. Do not bottle it up until it explodes in your face.
- Patience is a virtue. Love is patient, love is kind. This is important.
- There is power in prayer. Pray for your loved ones, your enemies and yourself.
- Keep dreaming. And don’t let anyone tell you your dreams are impossible or stupid.
- Goals are important. Without goals, dreams will stay dreams and never become reality.
- Stop caring what they think. This is YOUR life, not theirs.
- Smile often. You can literally make someones day just by smiling at them.
- Take care of yourself. Treat your body with the respect it deserves.
- Relax. Try not to get worked up over things that won’t matter in 5 minutes.
- Money doesn’t grow on trees. You don’t need another sweater to add to the 57 you already have in your closet.
- Learn your NEEDS versus WANTS. This will help you appreciate the things you already have.
- Help others. There will be a time in your life when you need help, so be that person for someone else.
- Words can be hurtful. Use them wisely and cautiously.
- Don’t be so gullible. Do your own research and educate yourself before you form opinions.
I still have SO much to learn. But that’s what life is. It’s a journey of loving and learning. I am so thankful God put me on this earth for another day. Cheers to year 27!