Hey guys! I know I usually post recipes on Sundays BUT we went on that hike last weekend so I was giddy about getting that post up first. But don’t fret! I’ve got a good recipe that I’m sharing today with you all!
One thing I love about winter, and I mean the ONE thing, is soup. Eating warm soup on a cold winter day just makes me feel so cozy. It’s comfort food that isn’t going to give you a heart attack (most of the time).
So, for today’s recipe, I am going to share this cabbage soup that has Italian chicken sausage and lentils. Clearly, if you have read my other recipes lately, I have been on a sausage kick. When I previously made this soup I used long grain brown rice. I decided to go with lentils this time since that’s what we had in the pantry. It turned out pretty yummy. You can go with rice or lentils, whatever your preference is.
The first time I made this I also just used a large pot and had it ready after about 30 minutes on the stove. But, I had some errands to run this day and decided to just prep it in the morning, throw it in the crock pot, and by the time I got back and my husband got home from work it would be finished and I wouldn’t have to worry about cooking in the evening. Because lets face it, as much as I love to cook, some days it just seems tedious.
The prep work for this recipe isn’t very long or hard. You add olive oil, garlic and diced onion in a skillet and cook for a few minutes. Then add your sausage (I used sweet Italian chicken sausage), brown it, and add it to the crock pot. Add your broth, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and lentils and that’s it! I cooked mine high for 4 hours since I started in the early afternoon, but you can also set it on low for 8 hours. This soup goes well with toasted garlic bread or french bread.
Don’t mind the dirty crock pot. It’s gotten it’s use these last four years 😂
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 of medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cups of chopped cabbage
- 1 lb of sausage (I used sweet Italian chicken sausage)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 1 can of diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup of lentils or long grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil and onion. Cook for two minutes, then add garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Remove casing from sausage and add to skillet. Add half tbsp of Italian seasoning, celery salt and dash of pepper. Brown the sausage.
- Add skillet ingredients into slow cooker. Then, add the remaining ingredients. Top with the rest of the seasoning and the bay leaf.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with garlic toast if desired.
Hope you guys enjoy! What are some of your favorite soup recipes?