Looking for some comfort food during a cold winter day but not wanting to sacrifice the calories? This sweet potato lasagna is your answer!
Hearing the word “lasagna” used to freak me out. Not the word itself but it just sounded so intimidating to cook…and to eat. Pretty much anything Italian sounds intimidating. But, I love Italian food. Who doesn’t love a good pasta dish??
I know what you’re thinking. “But Lauren, this isn’t pasta. it’s sweet potatoes…” or, “why do you always use super weird ingredients in your recipes??” Because weird is cooler than boring and sweet potatoes are life. I LOVE me some sweet potatoes y’all. The sweetness of the potatoes pairs wonderfully with the tangyness of the tomato sauce and spice of the sausage. I also added a touch of cinnamon…which in my opinion really makes this dish stand out.
Now, I still used jarred pasta sauce because… mom life. But the combination of flavors in this dish are so unique and delicious that you can’t even tell. Add some garlic, onion and sweet Italian sausage with some Italian herbs to your favorite store brand sauce and you’ve got yourself a decent base to this recipe! I am sure it would be even better if you made your own sauce…but like I said, I just don’t have time for that 🙂 That’ll be my next conquest!
I hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as I do ❤
Prep time: 15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2.5 cups pasta sauce. I used Muir Glen Italian Herb.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 pound of pork sausage
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat. After 2 minutes, add garlic, onion and sausage. Cook until sausage is browned. (Some prefer to drain the excess fat after cooking sausage but I did not do this – I like the flavor it gives)
- While sausage is cooking, mix ricotta, egg and 1 tbsp of italian seasoning
- Cut sweet potatoes into very thin slices (as this as possible). Place one layer into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle cinnamon onto the sweet potatoes.
- Add half of the meat sauce onto the sweet potatoes, then add about half of the ricotta mixture.
- Add another layer of sweet potatoes and add remaining meat sauce and then ricotta.
- Top dish with mozzarella and remaining seasoning
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender
See you in the next one!