Y’all, I am very excited to share this recipe with you! I’ve been wanting to start sharing recipes for a while now but wasn’t sure which one to start with. I decided to start a new tradition and page on my blog titled “Skillet Sundays”, where I post a recipe every Sunday. This one is perfect if you’re wanting to try something different for Christmas dinner or if you just want a cozy comfort meal during a winter evening.
I love pumpkin. I love pasta. I love sausage. And I love cheese. All of these things rolled into one with a touch of spinach make for a delicious meal. I know what you’re thinking…pumpkin and pasta?! But seriously, trust me. It isn’t overwhelmingly pumpkin-y. It is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. It’s also not hard at all to make! I’ve been making this for a couple of years now. I got the inspiration from another blogger on Pinterest, but I added and changed a lot to make the recipe my own. I hope you enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 package of Johnsonville sweet italian sausage (1lb 3oz)
- 1 package/box of rigatoni or ziti pasta (I used rigatoni)
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of ricotta
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1 can of pumpkin
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sage (you can cut up fresh sage, I used sage seasoning)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook pasta according to instructions on package. Once cooked, place in a strainer and set aside
- Add olive oil, garlic, onion, sage and sausage to a large skillet. Saute until sausage is browned and onion is translucent
- Add pumpkin and stir until mixed, then add almond milk. Allow mixture to simmer, then add spinach. Once spinach is soft, add ricotta and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Combine pasta and pumpkin mixture thoroughly. Add half of mixture to 9×13 baking dish. Add 1 cup of mozzarella cheese onto the mixture. Add another layer of pumpkin mixture. Top with another cup of mozzarella cheese
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown
That’s it! It really is simple and so delicious! My husband wouldn’t stop talking about it!
Stay tuned for more yummy recipes to come! 🙂